TRAVEL REIMBURSEMENT POLICY
• All air travel on WSAVA business will be in economy class, unless another class is less expensive.
• Airfares should be booked as soon as travel dates are confirmed to take advantage of advance discounts. A less expensive non-refundable fare should be selected over a more expensive refundable fare unless there is a real possibility that the travel may be cancelled.
• The economy class ticket need not be the least expensive, but should be for the most convenient, direct flight with the least delays in route, on a suitable and safe carrier. Airlines on the EU list of banned airlines https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/air/safety/air-ban/index_en.htm are to be avoided.
• The traveler may upgrade the economy air ticket to a higher cabin class either through the use of frequent flyer points or cash at personal expense
• The traveler may also select an airfare to allow stopovers, early arrivals, delayed returns, or alternate routes. However, the reimbursement will be based on a pro forma invoice from the carrier airline showing the economy fare for the most convenient, direct route. The actual invoice of the alternate fare purchased must also be presented.
• One piece of checked personal baggage can be claimed, when using an airline that charges for checked baggage. Extra bags and excess baggage charges will not be reimbursed
• Any airfare or combination of fares over US$2000 must be pre-approved by the core PCO organizing the congress. If pre-approval is not sought, full reimbursement cannot be guaranteed. While due consideration will be given to travel, expenses incurred on WSAVA business, reimbursement will be assessed on the reasonableness of the claim.